Things to Remember if You're in an Automobile Accident
An accident’s impact goes far beyond hospital and doctor bills. It can also result in lost earnings, benefits and the ability to live as you once did. The best course of action is to consult with an auto accident attorney as soon as an accident occurs to better understand your legal rights and what options are available to you. Insurance laws and regulations may have time limits for action; you could lose your rights by waiting. Here are certain things you can do in order to protect yourself and help your case.Remember
- If someone is injured, call immediately for medical help.
- Call the police to properly document the incident for legal purposes.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including the driver's name, address, telephone number, insurance information, and driver's license number. Also obtain the make, model, year, and license plate number of the vehicle, as well as the vehicle registration number.
- Gather information from any witnesses, including their names, addresses, and phone numbers. However, passengers involved in the accident are not considered witnesses.
- Using a disposable camera, a digital camera, or a camera phone, take pictures of the accident scene, including all angles. Include the surrounding area, any property damage, your injuries, and any physical evidence such as an item on the road or an animal that may have caused the accident.
- Don't panic. It is important to remain calm and to call for assistance.
- Don't leave the accident scene until the police tell you it is OK to do so.
- Don't move your vehicle after the accident, unless necessary for safety or required by law enforcement officials.
- Don't discuss the accident with anyone. Also, don't blame anyone, including yourself, as this could be used against you in the future.
- Don't wait to get legal advice. The longer you wait, the harder it can become to prove your case.
- Don't speak to anyone from the at-fault person's insurance company before consulting a lawyer. Any statements you may provide could be used against you in the future.
- Don't agree on a settlement of your case or sign any papers given to you by an insurance company until you receive legal advice.
The auto accident attorneys at Michael J. O'Connor & Associates are ready to begin tackling your legal problem today. Email or call our toll free number at 1 (800) 518-4LAW for a free initial consultation and review of your case.
Valeen Hykes is very professional and an amazing asset to the firm. Her assistant Ana Lopez Vives was very professional and very helpful. She is also a great asset to the firm.
No improvements needed. Everyone was very friendly & helpful.
I only talked to Anna she was super!!
I don't see anything you can do to make it better or easier. I feel bad it took me long to pay you. I never thought I would get approved in five months. I loved what you all did for me.
The services I received were exceptional.
I don't think there is need for improvement. My cases were handled with such care and consideration I would bring any case here.
Would you recommend our services to others?
Yes, I was so pleased, and so thankful for everything. Any additional comments... none, you are awesome, thank you again.